I would like to use a 'Light Phone' in Quebec

MV123456
MV123456 Posts: 2 ✭✭

Hi, I would like to use a 'Light Phone' with my Fizz account in Quebec. Their North American version of the Light phone uses the following 4G LTE Bands: B2, B4, B12, B13, B17, B25, B26.

If I have this Light Phone, will it work with Fizz account?

https://www.thelightphone.com/compatibility-checker

Best Answer

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Looks like it can but I'd check the exact frequencies by chatting with Fizz just to be sure as this is an exceptional phone.

Which frequencies must my phone support?

For an LTE-compatible phone configured with LTE network preferences:

Calls: Your device must support HSPA 850 MHz or 1900 MHz frequencies

Mobile data: Your device must have dual-frequency support for 1700/2100 MHz (also called AWS or 👉️ band IV 👈️)

Your phone can also support other frequencies that allow it to take advantage of the LTE network.

For a phone that only allows 3G or HSPA preferred:

Calls and / or mobile data: The phone must support the 1700/2100 MHz frequency (also called AWS)

Taken from https://fizz.ca/en/faq/compatible-devices

It looks that it is NOT an eSIM. Make sure it does accept physical SIMs.

Also make sure it will be unlocked as this is sold in the USA and the unlock law is Canadian (don't know for USA).

Answers

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭

Idefizz provided the important link to the compatibility website of Fizz. Your phone needs to support these in order to work with the Fizz network. The 1700/2100 MHz band is B4, so it should work. However, note that Fizz uses the 3G network for calls and text. So you phone also needs to support 850 or 1900 MHz bands. The Mobile Data Band alone won’t be enough because Fizz does not support VoLTE yet.

• MV123456
    MV123456 Posts: 2 ✭✭

Hi StefanM

What band is 850 or 1900MHZ band?

What is VoLTE?

Thanks,

• Ali S. #829
    Ali S. #829 Posts: 32 ✭✭

Videotron (Fizz) uses B4 (1700/2100) and B17 (700). It seems your phone will work.

VoLTE is Voice over LTE. It means being able to use internet during a voice call.

This discussion has been closed.