Got spurious texts about making a call and want to make sure nothing funny is happening

sean
sean Posts: 2 ✭✭

I just got two text messages from Fizz that both say the same thing:

"Action required: Your current plan did not allow you to complete this call. Please buy an Add-On", followed by a link.

I was not trying to make a call (the phone was sitting on the desk in front of me not in use when I got the notifications).

Is the Fizz system just acting up or is it possible something funny is being attempted with my phone number and the text messages are coming back to me?

Best Answers

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓

Don't click a link from an SMS what was unexpected. Not from a friend, not from a known company, never.

Clicking it can be benign or get you in trouble, up to identity theft.

Instead first corroborate the info with them, go online in your account and check your statuses (plans, order+transaction histories, etc). Check your email too to see if Fizz did send you a similar warning.

Also did you set text message as a preferred way of communication in your fizz account (see bottom of My Settings section)?

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

I've rapidly looked in the fizz site and didn't get a more appropriate answer.

Yes it looks legit. Indeed what you typed shows the proper website. Some fishing use links so similar it really looks like the same but for 1 character.

If you think your phone is acting weird, maybe look at the call history, even data consumption. I would get to the bottom of this one by chatting with Fizz to understand the who, why, what...

Answers

• sean
    sean Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited March 2021

Thank you. I checked my plans and order+transaction histories and don't see anything unusual there. I did not get an e-mail from Fizz.

The link in the text appears to be to here; https://fizz.ca/s/15/en/20787087/

It does appear that fizz.ca is having technical difficulties currently.

• Dgjf
    Dgjf Posts: 3,052 ✭✭

The link seem really weird in my opinion

The addon are on https://zone.fizz.ca/ (link not valid but if you go to add a addon in your account you will see the url start with this) not fizz.ca so its really seem fishy.

• Barry L. #924
    Barry L. #924 Posts: 43 ✭✭

I rarely if ever click on links in SMSs unless totally sure its legit, just not worth it

This discussion has been closed.