Here’s my dream Fizz IPTV service... What do you think?

Options
FizzFanTim
FizzFanTim Posts: 86 ✭✭

I would really like Fizz to launch a lean & mean IPTV service. Something that focuses on the only reason to have TV today: Live programming. Here’s what I want:

• Canadian broadcast networks in English (CBC, CTV, Citytv, Global) and French (TVA, RadCan, Noovo)
  • American broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox)
  • The news channels (CBC, CTV, LCN, RDI, CNN, MSNBC, FOX)
  • The sports channels (RDS, TVA, TSN, Sportsnet)

That’s it. No specialty channels that air shows we can watch on streaming services. Add an online PVR functionality, apps for AppleTV and Roku, charge me $30 a month and take my money.

Best Answer

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I understand the need and could see Fizz offering it if there was demand. But I believe the demand is diminishing over time to streaming's benefits and its budget impact (cableTV + streaming#1 + streaming#2 +...). I get your point though: what remains is live action like news and sports.

Also, I guess Fizz's market segment is toward younger generations who prefer generally streaming for their screen time. So being an official subsidiary of Videotron, it has to offer something different and bringing back TV might impede on the same segments. I may be wrong.

Personally it's no longer my cup of tea. I've had cable-tv for a while and thought I couldn't live without it. Never been freer than when I got rid of it. The one thing I missed the most was sports. Took me a good 2 years of withdrawal and then not care anymore. But, ya know, between watching millionaires only winning half the time and me playing with my buddies (real sports or eSports), the choice became natural and beneficial.

But when suggesting Fizz to my entourage, aside the "I have already a phone contract" and "I just prefer that other provider", I sometimes get is "there is no TV offer".

Answers

• Dgjf
    Dgjf Posts: 3,052 ✭✭
    Options

Im not the type of custommer who whant that. But for the free canadian like TVA, RadCan, Noovo, CBC why would you want to pay for that ? You know you can get all this for free with a basic antenna on your TV your already pay for it wit your tax.

• Zenthar
    Zenthar Posts: 517 ✭✭
    Options

I think a lot of this could potentially be achieved by purchasing some hardware and finding the right applications and by that I don`t mean pirate channels, I just mean that there are so many options (and the same time so few clear ones for Canadians, let alone Quebec) it`s hard to even figure-out. I do think if anyone is able to create such a post (ex: "cord cutting 101 for Fizz clients"), it would become very popular very fast.

For example, it might be possible to achieve a lot of this using an HDTV antenna, a Plex media server (+Plex Pass for PVR feature) and maybe something like a Roku for playback (unless you can plug you media server directly into your TV). It could require a non-trivial initial investments (easily 500$+), but that 30$/month might cover that in 2 only to years.

• Serge G. #19122
    Serge G. #19122 Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Options

pourquoi payer l'iptv alors que la compétition l 'offre gratos

http://video.vif.com/?channelgroup=LOCAL

oublier pas le changement d heure cette nuit

• Dustin_27103
    Dustin_27103 Posts: 191 ✭✭
    Options

Hi,

I'm at the same place.

I would be ready to pay for a service like this which would be 100% reliable and cheaper than the only two options we have for standard TV.

• Zenthar
    Zenthar Posts: 517 ✭✭
    Options

The eBox offer is very similar to what you describe, but you need to have their internet (which costs more) and have to buy their modem (100$) and rent their Android box if you don't have a compatible device (7$/mth).

This discussion has been closed.