Is a higher speed connection available at my address?

Options
Kyriel
Kyriel Posts: 1 ✭✭

My current provider (AEI) tells me there's no way to upgrade my connection at my address because the wiring does not allow it. I'd like to know, before switching to fizz, which connection speed I have access to.

AEI tells me they can't go higher than 25mbps and I'm interested in the 120mbps plan with Fizz.

If a Fizz employee could get back to me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Best Answer

• vanigh
    vanigh Posts: 328 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

In the old days AEI Provided Internet on Bell Phone lines, i used to be one of their customers, i don't know if now they are associated with videotron Cable network.

In older buildings with old wirings speeds degrades, I personally think that you'll get faster internet speed with fizz cable internet.

Don't Cancel with AEI until Videotron Technician measures your cable frequency when he comes to deliver your Modem.

Answers

• Seu_Madruga
    Seu_Madruga Posts: 73 ✭✭
    Options

Hi Kyriel,

At the Fizz internet plans (https://fizz.ca/en/internet) you can choose one of the speeds and click next. In the following page you will be prompted to fill your address, then they will say if your address is supported by Fizz at that speed. Did you try this?

• Kyriel
    Kyriel Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options

Yes I did try this and it did show that I had access to up to 200mbps at my address but AEI told me it was impossible.

I don't want to cancel my internet just to have the technician tell me when he gets here that 120mbps is impossible because of wiring and whatnot.

Basically, AEI are probably just lying to me about the higher speed availability but I want to be 100% certain before blindly getting a new plan with Fizz.

• Seu_Madruga
    Seu_Madruga Posts: 73 ✭✭
    Options

Fizz uses Videotron's network. I don't know about AEI.

As Fizz said they have the speed you want, you can get the internet from Fizz, schedule the modem delivery, and when the technician arrives ask him about the speed - s/he will probably do a test in your connections. If it doesn't work, kindly refuse it - or cancel via Fizz website.

If it does work, than cancel your Internet with AEI. Providers usually stop billing at the date you choose - including next day.

• Dgjf
    Dgjf Posts: 3,052 ✭✭
    Options

I dont know AEI but if its use DSL (your standard phone line) it can be true. Videotron/Fizz use the coaxial network so its not the samme network. If the Fizz website said they can give you 200 mbits so they can.

And we are client here juste like you so we dont work for Fizz. If you want to chat with a Fizz team member you can do so on Facebook for example. Have a nice day :)

This discussion has been closed.