feedback on internet beta?

S P. #286
S P. #286 Posts: 242 ✭✭
Not really a question but just wanted to say that I got an invite for the internet beta this past week and receive the installation Friday. So far, very good and very stable. Good job Fizz!
I just wonder if the 120mb plan will be available again, so far the max is 60mb.

Answers

• Raja U.
    Raja U. Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Good to see some positive reviews about the internet! I am getting gorged by Bell and need a way out asap - this could be my only savior; haven't received the beta testing offer yet though :( I'll keep my fingers crossed.
  • Axel Q.
    Axel Q. Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Hey guys, after 5 days of internet usage, i can say that it's not very good. Speed tests show good speed, but browsing internet is very slow... most of the very famous websites out there take ages before loading or it eventually times out.
    I contacted the chat and they say it's not an internet connection issue but a Wi-Fi signal issue. However I had no problem with my last modem/router.
    So we started disconnecting all my devices and it is true that now with only my laptop, it's back to normal.
    My family has 3 google homes, 2 smartphones, a chromecast, a tablet and a laptop. So yes, it's a connected home but I'm not sure if the router can handle all of that.
    I'll try reconnecting them one by one or I'll ask Fizz to bring back the technician in order to complete the router setup. It's a shame it did not work automatically at initial setup; but I may be an isolated case.
  • Axel Q.

@ Mario D.

--> Thank you for your answers. (Am I talking to Mario Dumont?)

If the problem is the Wi-Fi and a lot of connected devices, maybe think about turning Off the Wi-Fi on the Fizz Modem/router and buying a good router?

--> Do you have a router to recommend? On another thread someone recommended a refurbished ASUS

If you want to be sure that it’s a Wi-Fi problem, plug your laptop directly with an Ethernet cable to test the loading time of various Websites. One thing you could check is if the channels you are using are overlapping with your neighbors. Use inSSIDer Home from Metageek to analyse the Wi-Fi networks around you. My Fizz modem/router on automatic did not choose the less crowded channels. I had to manually change that.

--> I have a macbook without ethernet and inSSIDer is for PC only ;) but i'll manage to find a Windows laptop with Ethernet. But I'm quite sure it's a Wifi issue because when I use only one device it works great! And the technician on the chat confirmed I had Wifi instability.

Use a browser to access the Fizz modem/router 192.168.0.1

--> Yes I did, but I don't know what to do here, except rebooting and changing password of course. Is there a way to force a device to use 2.4Ghz in there?

As a last resort, turn off AC and force everything on N or even G in 2,4 Ghz for a stronger signal that goes further but that would limit the bandwidth significantly for each connected device to the point of maybe preventing 4k content for example. But if you don’t use that, no biggie?

--> So 2.4Ghz will bring better stability, right? What do you mean, turning off AC... Air conditioning? lol

• Mario_FQDZA
    Mario_FQDZA Posts: 3,094 ✭✭

@ Axel Q.: --> Thank you for your answers. (Am I talking to Mario Dumont?)

Oh! Que non!

--> Do you have a router to recommend? On another thread someone recommended a refurbished ASUS.

I’m no expert at all on routers. But I hear good things about Asus routers.

I’m sure you can find a good Wi-Fi analyzer on the app store that will do the same thing as inSSIDer on a PC or on your iPhone.

--> (…) Is there a way to force a device to use 2.4Ghz in there?

I’m not sure, I haven’t explored the whole thing, there’s a lot in there compared to the Fizz Wi-Fi app which is very basic.

--> So 2.4Ghz will bring better stability, right? What do you mean, turning off AC... Air conditioning? Lol

AC is one standard in Wi-Fi like the earliest were “a” then “b” then “g” then “n” then “AC” always faster but some, like AC, that use the 5 Ghz frequencies go less further but offer greater bandwidth, it’s a compromise. But if you don’t need the blazing speeds of 100 Mbps, you can be fine with turning AC Off and forcing everyone on “n” or even “g” in 2.4 Ghz.

But beware some cordless phones use the 2.4 Ghz band and will screw up your Wi-Fi in the “g” band of 2.4 Ghz., not good. Try “n”. If you are desperate, try “b” I think the max for “b” is 12 Mbps, verrrry sloooow. Experiment, google, read… you’ll learn, it’s fun… Good luck!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/12/30/802-11ac-vs-802-11n-wifi-whats-the-difference/#79503aa03957

• Axel Q.
    @Mario D : Ok thank you.
    It seems that today all my devices on 5Ghz are doing well. There are lots of strong neighboring networks that create co-channel interferences in Channel 1, 6 and 11. So 2.4Ghz won't be so good for me, I guess.
    thanks for your help Mario
    +
  • AlmightyPain
    AlmightyPain Posts: 114 ✭✭
    my feedback is that even though its still in beta im still loving the service
  • Bambie Tambourin
    Bambie Tambourin Posts: 109 ✭✭
    awesome i hope the prices are good too :)
  • Bambie Tambourin
    Bambie Tambourin Posts: 109 ✭✭
    Fizz is good :) !
This discussion has been closed.