Frequent internet disconnects everyday and no resolution

Options
nt1519
nt1519 Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited February 2022 in Internet

I recently moved over to Fizz (120 mbps plan) and every day i have almost daily internet disconnects (The lights on the modem which are blue when internet is working turn blank, then they turn green and after a while turn blue again). This happens to both ethernet and wifi connections. The internet interruptions are impacting my work from home and it is becoming impossible to work like this. I have followed the recommendation to disable band steering but that did not make a difference. I changed my set up to personal router and FIZZ modem, changed the place my fizz modem is hooked in the house, performed factory reset of the modem but nothing has helped.

I have been spending many hours with fizz customer support every day but it looks internet disconnects are acceptable according to them. I have even been told not to use company VPN, shut down other devices which are not being used or i have too many devices. Can the community members provide some feedback if everyone has issues working from home and what was done in situations similar to mine. What did fizz do to fix them as there seems no escalation mechanisms in place. Every-time i contact them i get the same answers and i don't see any resolution in sight. I was on a 25 mbps plan with another provider on ADSL line before moving over to fizz and never had a single issue in the past 5 years.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

• reference_JW13S
    reference_JW13S Posts: 115 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello,

Maybe Vidéotron Network is bad in your area? Have you ever had internet with Vidéotron or another company reselling cable internet?

Have you try escalating this issue in the formal resolution process (step 2), maybe they can send a technician to test the signal going to your house and find the problem (since you experience the same issue when you connected with an ethernet cable, its clearly not a simple wifi problem).

Go there to file an official complaint:

https://fizz.ca/en/faq/resolving-issues-step-2

Answers

• nt1519
    nt1519 Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for your response. I filed a compliant and a technician will be at my house to check the issue. Also, my neighbour has videotron internet and i checked with him, he said he never had any issues. Let's see how it goes when the technician comes. I will update the thread.

• feric
    feric Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options

Hello. I have the exact same problem. I have been dealing with the customer service for a month now and they keep asking the same things over and over. I'm losing patience. Technician came and just split my signal and he was convinced it would solve the problem. But modem keeps resetting 1-2 times a day.

How did your story conclude? Did you ever fix it?

Thanks

• Emeric-Valentine
    Emeric-Valentine Posts: 171 ✭✭
    Options

Same problem here, it happen randomly, when I work, with/withoutVPN, when I play, when I back to my PC after lunch...

When I was with Videotron I had the same problem too

It came from the videotron network for sure ...

Hochelaga and Rosemont (area tested by myself ^^)

• overdub
    overdub Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

The problem when they send in a technician is that at the very moment they check the signal quality, chances are the signal will be ok. What are the odds that you get a disconnection (which are usually very short duration) while the technician is at your home ? Then they will go leave and say the signal was ok. then they will ask you to reboot the modem, and stuff like that but that does not solve the inherent Network issue. The disconnections must come from a bandwidth/number of users beeing to high at certain specific times in the day. This has nothing to do with your local modem/router nor wifi signal at home. It is called real-time network management, and this is something that is in the hands of Fizz/Videotron so that they offer a good quality of service (QoS)

• Frédéric D. 5630
    Frédéric D. 5630 Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Options

I've been having disconnect problems for a very long time, mostly at night but also in the middle of the day (less often). Sometimes images on websites don't load completely or are very slow to load.

Now before we get in the "have you tried to reboot your modem/router" kind of advices, know that I've worked in IT for over 20 years. When I'm telling you something is sketchy on your side, it's because it is. (talking to you fizz)

Also, their internet service is MUCH less responsive than with Videotron, Fibe or Teksavvy.

All this on a brand-new PC with a fresh windows install, and it's the same on all our devices anyway.

• Frédéric D. 5630
    Frédéric D. 5630 Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Options

So I got fed up with this and decided to do a little digging. Turns out our connection goes through a private network address before reaching the internet.

What are you hiding at 10.170.193.118 Fizz?

And why are you forcing us to use your modem/router? It's a piece of junk!

Im this " " <--- close to hooking up a JTAG to your modem and releasing all the docsys settings, so we can use our own modems. Don't want this? Fix your network and get us a proper modem and router.

• Caroline S. #28630
    Options

I'm having the same problem daily since April or May and every time I talked to customer service, they tell me the same things, over and over again, that I have too many devices connected at once (because I, a single person, am using 6 devices at once; they couldn't possibly be either turned off or idle throughout most of the day). Updated my plan to have more devices supported and that didn't change anything. I gave up talking to customer service about it, there's only so many times I can be told to reboot the modem before I lose my mind. It's easier to live with now that I'm back in the office, but it's still highly annoying.

• STEFFIX
    STEFFIX Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options

i do have the same problem... connexion keeps dropping at least 3 to 4 times in a 24 hours period, and this is getting as annoying as trying to find the link to chat with an agent... maybe the router is the problem , maybe i have time to waist ....why cant the at least make the chat button available, instead of having to waist hours on the site

This discussion has been closed.